Thursday, September 10, 2009


I cannot believe it has been 8 years. This year 9-11 is on a Friday again, just like the actual day of the attacks on the World Trade Center.

I saw the headlines today announcing that various sports teams and civil organizations and other groups will be doing things to commemorate the anniversary and it brought back memories of that day. I remember how scared I was after the attacks, and how I wondered if our world would ever feel safe again. I thought of the pride I felt in our firefighters and police as they worked so hard to save people trapped in the building, and how we all rejoiced as many walked out alive. I recalled the sadness at how many lost their lives, and the stories of their loved ones left behind. We all sat glued to our TV in those days after the attacks, searching for answers or maybe just "rubbernecking" at the devastation because we were so numb. And I remember sitting on the couch with tears streaming down my face as we saw footage of the "Shock and Awe" campaign. (Not that I do not or did not support our country and military in it's endeavors, I was just so sad that it had come to this) I really can't put a name on the emotions I felt that night, it was a combination of sadness for our world and fear for our children and pride in our country and many other emotions all rolled into one.

I have heard many relate that day as a day they will never forget, and I think it is a day that will be like the day that President Kennedy was shot for my generation. Everyone remembers where they were when they heard that the towers had been hit and were falling. I had dropped Marissa off at preschool and I was taking my grandmother to look for new eyeglasses. Our first stop was the WalMart vision center to see what they had. For whatever reason they had a big screen TV int eh front of the store that day, and I saw the news broadcast that the first tower had been hit. AT that time we all thought it was a tragic accident. We left Walmart and headed into Savannah to America's Best Eyeglasses to see what they had and heard on the radio in the car that the second tower had been hit and that it was believed to be a terrorist attack on our country. I didn't know what to think. We left the eyeglass shop and headed home and as I drove down Abercorn Street I saw the police and SWAT team in their black protective gear surrounding the FBI building and it wasn't until then that I realized that life would never be the same.

Part of me wanted to go get Marissa out of preschool early and take her home, but I wondered if she was safer there or with me or if she would ever be safe again. I decided to pick her up at regular time, and when I did, I noticed that although the kids did not know anything there was a definite somber mood in the air and sober expressions on the teachers and staffs face.

That night as I lay in bed, I wondered what would happen. Would we recover from this and go on as before, or would there be more attacks? What was was coming next??? For the first time in my life I have to say I briefly considered moving to Canada. I am ashamed to say that because I love my country and don't think I could ever leave but that is just how afraid and confused I was.

So what about you? Where were you when the towers fell? Leave a comment please and share your story. And tomorrow, say a prayer for our country, it's leaders, our military and every American everywhere.


Debbie said...

I will never forget that day either, I was at work and one of the girls in my office came to my door and said her husband had called and a small plane had hit one of the Trade Center buildings, we went to the bosses office and turned on the TV and were shocked at what was happening, we saw the second aircraft hit the tower and we just stood there in disbelief. I called Terry at home just to hear his voice and let him know what was happening. We were all devastated and scared, but God took care of us and our families and we were truly blessed. I still feel for those who lost their lives and their families. It is hard to believe it has been 8 years. I still get goosebumps when I hear the song that was done to the tune of Silent Night and also God Bless the USA. A big change for our country and a time that will never be forgotten.

Stephanie Napier said...

i was dropping Satin off at preschool and went to Marlenes house to spend the day.. we sat and watched the tv in disbelief all day.

Kathy said...

Well, I was getting ready for work and David came in and said that we had just been attacked by terrorist. I just came out of the bathroom and said "you are kidding?". That was honestly the first thing out of my mouth. It was hard for me to get ready to drive that 50 miles to work that day and think of all that was going on, but unfortunately that is the way of the working world. They don't care what happens as long as you are there on time. However, when I got there we were all in the same frame of mind and really did not get much work done for following everything on the computers. When I got home I was still in disbelief even after seeing things and hearing things all day. I was glad to be home with my family though and be able to hold my grandson and I thank God for the time I have with my friends and family every day.