Thursday, July 30, 2009

Oatmeal Apple Cookie Bars


I made these yummy cookie bars last night. I found the recipe online but the printed recipe does not remind me of where exactly I found it, but it does say that the recipe was provided by the Washington State Apple Commission. (who knew???)

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I used dark brown)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup plain white flour (I used bread flour)
1 teas ground cinnamon
3/4 teas baking powder
3/4 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
2 Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used Granny Smith)
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats (I used the old fashioned kind)
1/2 cup chopped nuts, plus more for garnish if desired (left these out)
1 cup prepared vanilla icing (optional-I left it off)

Heat oven to 375. Grease a 9" square baking dish
Beat sugar and butter until creamy, add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
Mix in flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda until blended.
Add apples, oats and nuts
Spread into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. If desired, top with icing and garnish with nuts before cutting into bars.

As you can see, I made several adjustments to the recipe. It is the week between paydays and I made do with what I had. The cookies were still very good!

Let me know if you try these and how they turn out. I think they would be wonderful with some dried cranberries or blueberries inside too :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I'll have to make these for Bee. She loves anything with apples.

Marissa said...

They were so good!