Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stuff

WHEW! It has been a busy few days! I last posted Friday, after our adventure at the park. Saturday I worked at my church doing the Angel Food distribution. Angel food is this really cool program where you can buy a box of food once a month at a fraction of retail price. Basically, the value of the box is between $60-$75 and you only pay $30 for it. It is all first quality, very tasty stuff. If you are interested in participating, email me or leave a comment. For more information, go to www.angelfoodministires.com. This program is open to EVERYONE.

Sunday was a great day. After worship Sunday morning, we had a potluck lunch and then we had an Easter Egg hunt or the children. Marissa had such a great time finding the eggs! I think these things just get better as she gets older.

Monday was a normal day...back to school. Riss came home all happy and excited because her science fair project won an honorable mention. Her project was on "Can people really tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi in a blind taste test?". Surprisingly, most people could. Who knew?

Today was good. Started off with Bible study/scrapbooking cell group at church, then went shopping for a dress for Amanda to wear when she marries Mac Daddy Rod this summer. She found some amazing things! I don't know how she will narrow it down to just one! I have my fave of course, it is a beautiful ivory halter style with a sash in "Victorian lilac". Simply stunning and makes her look like a BARBIE DOLL for sure! I would so love to have a figure like she has, I am telling you the girl is STACKED!!!! Oh well, not in the cards for me. We ate at Cracker Barrel and it was tasty, but we had some really bad service! Guess you can't have it all huh?

Then tonight, one of the coolest things ever happened. My pal April has really been going through some stuff lately, really bad stuff in fact. She had another thing happen today that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. So what happened? Debbie went and picked her and her girls up, brought them to my house, and hung out. Brenda arrived with trays and bags of food, and we started chowing on just about anything we could get our hands on. Amanda came over, and we all sat around just laughing and talking and crying together. April and Debbie had the funniest contest to see who could fit the most puffed Cheetos in their mouth and April won. Who knew her mouth was big enough to cram in 12 Cheetos???? The best part was when she put one in each nostril. Now that is some quality entertainment there!!! Debbie quickly forfeited when the nose became involved.....EEEW! Smart girl that bean countin' pal of mine! :)
You know, it may seen odd that in the midst of all of the chaos and bad stuff and tragedies that have happened in all of our lives lately that we could act the fool and laugh so hard tonight. I got to thinking about this and it reminded me of a saying that my Mom has used my whole life. She says "You may as well laugh as cry" and she is so right. It took me a long time to really understand what she meant by that phrase, and I am so glad I finally understand it's true meaning. Basically, laughter and tears both relieve stress. There is a time to weep and a time to mourn, but also a time to laugh. None of us could FIX April's problems and concerns, but we could sure laugh with her and cry with her and ease the pain she is in. That's what friends do. It reminded me of that scene in Steel Magnolia's where Shelby's mother is encouraged to slap Weeza and then they all broke out into hysterical laughter right after Shelby's funeral. It's how we cope. We laugh. We go on. And we get through.

I am so incredibly blessed to have my circle of friends. April, Brenda, Debbie, Amanda and Sandra....you guys mean more to me that you will ever know. Thanks for being there for me. Just know that I will be there for you when it's your turn to need someone. I love you guys!!!!

2 comments:

Song Bird said...

Wow, I can't believe you are thanking me for being there for you. It's amazing how God will bring together a group of women and we can become the greatest of friends...almost sisters even. Yes, these past weeks have been an emoional rollercoaster for our family. For me. You know, when what you are going through has to do with one of your children, it hurts just so much more than if it were only you going through it. Yes, last night, I could have cralled in my bed, and not got up for days. But there are these beautiful women I call my friends. Michelle, Brenda, Debbie, and Amanda. Girls, you will never know what you did for me last night. You see these girls wouldn't let me be by myself...we needed an intervention. (A Cheetoo intervention evindentially). My back issues were preventing me from driving so Debbie came and picked my girls and me up, and these women, my God sent friends, stayed with me until after 1:00 in the morning. They are exactly what I needed at that time. Yes, we laughed, we cried...well I cried a whole 20oz bottle....but that was OK with them. And like Michelle said, they didn't have the answers, but that is not what I needed. I just needed to be with my FRIENDS, my SISTERS, that God so graciously placed in my life. They will never know how much they mean to me, and how them being their for me last night meant so much. I love you Michelle, Debbie, Brenda, and Amanda. I can only hope when you need me I can be there half as much as you were for me.

I love you girls,
I love you like a Cheetoo..

Anonymous said...

Well, seein' as how I'm not a hugger...will one of y'all give April a hug for me please? ;) Go get 'em girl!